Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The Trastever Chronicles..."STAY"

I think that we truly do not contemplate the concept of
m
o
b
i
l
i
t
y

...until we are forced to sit in one position for two hours. With the completion of this exercise I began to feel as if for some time I must have taken the pleasure of moving from place to place for granted.

I decided to park myself in front of the same sunglass boutique as my respite I took for writing in my journal last Trastevere assignment. I don't exactly know my motivations, but I was curious to see if the same shop owners and workers were still quarrelling. The walk to my little post somewhere in the heart of the area was familiar... my feet seemed to remember my route and I got there with little to no effort at all. That is not to say, however, that my walk was joyful. I had a sinking feeling that the impending task would be difficult for me, as I am hard-pressed to sit for an extended period of time. Although I love observing, I also enjoy moving and doing. For a dancer to sit for two hours in one spot... slightly a challenge.

As soon as I sat down I decided to take in my surroundings. These are some of my notes...

It's extremely early yet and slightly chilly. People have not started their morning hustle... which makes me wonder how many of the residents of our little area of interest have to hustle out of Trastevere. I can't picture this place to sustain any amount of great hustle at all. To my left the flower shop sits unattended. It looks slightly lonely, but also in a way, serene: almost as if the lack of human hands allows the flowers to breathe. On my bench someone had scribbled some incoherent words, along with what looks to be hearts. I feel strange sitting on a drawing, even if it is actually graffitti. In front of me is my little sunglass fashion boutique, not yet open for the day. I wonder if the same clerks will be arguing and running in and out of the store today. As I sit down I feel a sense of excitement, as if I am some Nancy Drew solving the case of the ....... you can fill in the blank.

The excitement has tapered off drastically. Although I have enjoyed watching the old flower shop man come to set up his wares and tend to his plants (that as I mentioned, seemed to enjoy the time alone)... I can't help but feel slightly lonely. There still aren't many people on the street, except for some mothers walking children to school and grandmothers getting an early start for the day.

The sunglass store just opened... the same woman is setting up, but the clerk she likes to yell at isn't working yet. Maybe he is a student too and only puts up with her abuse for some part-time cash. Maybe it's actually her son and she feels that she can yell all she wants (despite the fact that customers are there). OR, maybe he quit after that day. Who knows.

I'm starting to get really bored... at first this activity was cute and somewhat adventurous, but now it's not funny anymore. I'm restless... I wish that someone would come up and talk to me! I can't believe that I am this bored after only thirty minutes...

For my amusement, more people have begun their morning hustle. Maybe it's not for my amusement, but at any rate, it is in fact something to watch. A few businessmen hurry by my in their suits, chatting away. A woman gets on her Vespa in her heels, ready to tackle the day. Everyone's going somewhere... except for me.

I decided to take a stretch break and walk a loop around the flower shop. Some Hispanic women are eyeing the goods and pause to look at me curiously. I'm not furiously scribbling right now, so I probably don't look as creepy. We exchange a quick smile and then they are back on their conquest of finding the right geranium.

A few minutes later I sit back on the bench and hastily get out a postcard from my bag. Might as well utilize this time while I have it. Sorry that (parents) you will see this before you get it!

Dear Mommy and Daddy,

I'm sitting here in a beautiful area of Rome called Trastevere. I decided to come early before class because we had to observe...and you know that I'm the queen of last minute adventures. This postcard is of a Castle right by the residence. I've yet to visit it, but I am in fact going to the Vatican on Thursday (not like last time when we were content with the view!). I hope that things are going well at home and with grandma... Irene, Salvo, and Guiseppe called me yesterday! It's so nice to finally be able to talk to them in Italian:) I hate that I've already run out of space to write (I must have forgotten how tiny postcards really are). Back to my observer's post. Tanti Baci!! Julie

I'm on the last leg of my two hours and it's nice to see more and more people walking around. Although people definitely aren't as curious as the other afternoon... I surmise it's because they are much more rushed in their morning hustle. 15 minutes to go!!

DONE. relief, pride and soreness (haha).

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

No comments: